In the Sense & the City annaul tradition, in honor of the seventh month I present seven of my favorite sights from around the city.
1. The late-night private trash trucks with year-round Christmas-colored lights bearing down on you in the dark
2. “Bizarre emergency 100% couture tailoring” with Playboy Bunny logo in Flatlands, Brooklyn
3. The halved lemons street vendors use to dip their fingertips into to make them sticky before separating a plastic bag from the sheaf
4. The beautifully arranged mop and broom display at Amigo 99-cent at
5. The lurid blue and green plastic ring of the Nutcracker, a semi-contraband homebrewed beach concoction of various liquors and syrups hawked on Rockaways beaches and elsewhere: “NUTcrackers, get your NUTcrackers.”
6. This gingerbread house on a side street in Charlotte Gardens, the Bronx
7. The “World’s Most Famous Tree” in Bergen Beach, Brooklyn, begun in 2007 by local Eugene Fellner with a stuffed tiger