Search
Close this search box.

Fordham Manor Reformed Church

About This Listing

One of the first ministries in the Bronx, chartered in 1696

Place Details

Place Matters Profile

Nominations

Ben Rivera

It is the first church in the Bronx with a regular ministry. It received its charter in 1696, by the King of England. Edgar Allan Poe used the church library for quiet time and study. He buried his wife in the church’s cemetery. The names of nearby streets are the names of former members (Claflin, Valentine, Briggs) to name a few. The third pastor of the church was John Peter Tetard, a local Junior High School is named after him.

Share This Listing
Twitter
Facebook
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Scroll to Top