WHY CITY LORE DOCUMENTARY INSTITUTE
IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
City Lore has been involved as producers and directors for
the documentaries below
As folklorists, oral historians and filmmakers, City Lore brings 25 years of experience documenting, preserving and presenting the stories of everyday people who are often marginalized, and whose stories are rarely told. City Lore’s experience and mission provides a unique environment for filmmakers and cultural activists. If you share the following philosophies, the City Lore Documentary Institute is for you:
- You want to combine oral history, folklore and activist approaches with hands-on media training in a three week crash course.
- You have a place you love, a tradition you care about, or an occupation who’s stories are being lost—and you want to document them.
- You want to immerse yourself in one of the great New York City subcultures and capture its story.
- You want to teach and help others how to tell their own stories.
- You see an issue that is being ignored or misrepresented and you want to create a dynamic piece to bring attention to it.
- You started a project, but you’re missing some of the skills to complete it.
- You started a project, but you want guidance on how to take it to the next level.
- You are an artist who wants to create multi-media work.
- You already have technical skills, but you want to learn how to develop your concept, write grants, and pitch your story.
- You want guidance from people who don’t just teach, but do: filmmakers, photographers, radio producers.
- You want a program that values all voices.
- You want a program that will give you access to NYC subcultures.
- You learn by doing.