Education is core to City Lore’s mission, and we bring a cultural perspective and rich community contacts and resources to our education programs. Serving over 6,000 students each year, our school program draws on the rich cultural traditions of the city’s many neighborhoods and ethnic communities to support learning in the arts.
We are unique amongst New York City’s many arts education programs in that we specialize in placing traditional and folk artists in schools. We also collaborate with contemporary artists whose own work explores the themes of community, identity, and history. Our students can learn from a traditional artist as part of their unit on a world culture, or work with a contemporary artist who guides research into source material for students’ original artwork. Participants in our school program acquire tools and skills for iinvestigating neighborhood, family, cultural traditions and history, and learn to draw on research to express ideas about their communities and the world through the arts.
City Lore provides high quality arts learning experiences to students in grades K-12. We align our programs to support the New York State Learning Standards for the Arts, the New York City Blueprint for the Arts, and when appropriate, the Common Core State Standards.
Key components of our artist residency programs include:
- Collaborative residency planning time for teaching artists and classroom teachers
- Experiential, skills-based learning through an art form with a practicing artist
- Opportunities for both collaborative and individual art making
- A project-based approach that emphasizes process and inquiry
- Opportunities to analyze and respond to works of art
- An interdisciplinary approach
- Ongoing reflection and assessment
- Opportunities for students share what they have learned and created with an audience
- Customized field trips to community settings and city cultural institutions
- Experiences with arts exemplars through performances and exhibits by professional artists
Please click on an art form to learn about our offerings in a particular discipline: